We’re hitting that end-of-summer slump--I’m not the only one who starts feeling a bit sick of summer as we slog into August, am I? Daydreaming about bulky sweaters and crunchy leaves and pumpkin-flavored everything? When I was a kid, this is the point at which I started counting down the days to the start of a new school year. (Yeah, I was that child who got crazy excited for school to begin.)
To help beat the summer slump, I thought I’d throw a little outdoor party for my family and some of my kids’ friends. In this heat, nothing sounds better than some silly outdoor water games and chilly treats enjoyed with friends and family.
Image credits, clockwise from top left: Kraft Recipes, Posh Sitting, Our Life is Beautiful, A Travel Abroad, and Redtri
1. I’ve been curious to try these frozen grapes for many summers now and have never gotten around to it, but I think this get-together might be the occasion. The grapes are dusted with JELL-O Lime Flavor Gelatin powder, then frozen for a sweet and tangy treat. Sounds perfectly refreshing for a hot summer afternoon.
2. Water, and plenty of it, is going to be a necessity. Trying to decide whether water balloons and preschoolers will be a recipe for magical summer fun, or just tears and tantrums?
3. I love the simple star backdrop at this party. It would be simple to pull together, but looks so festive and fun.
4. If I’ve learned one thing from throwing kids’ gatherings, it’s that they don’t want to stop the fun for a sit-down meal. Easy finger foods are essential, like mini-sandwiches that they can pick up and eat without sitting down or using utensils.
5. This game is such a summer classic, and I can remember playing it over and over. Remember the cup and bucket game? Trying to transfer water from one bucket to another without slopping it all over the grass along the way? I have a pretty good guess that my kids will think this game is fantastic.
I’m excited to get our field day party ready! Head over to Krystal’s Kitsch to see her summer gathering ideas, too.
Thanks to JELL-O brand for allowing me to partner with them to plan our family field day summer party! I had a blast. Already planning to try this at home with your little ones? I’d love to hear how it goes in the comments below. For more inspiration visit: http://jello.com