I'll occasionally get questions here or on Instagram about what products I use on my short hair, and I'm happy to share what has worked best for me! It definitely takes some trial and error to figure out what products will give the best results, but I've found some products I really enjoy and I'm happy to pass them along.
Of course, the products that are great for me might not be good for you, and vice versa. I have what my stylist has described as "a medium amount of very fine hair," so these products are mainly geared toward adding volume and texture, and preventing flyaways.
*affiliate links ahead!
1. Wella Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner :: This shampoo and conditioner duo is a rather recent purchase for me, so I've only been using them a few weeks. But I've been really happy with them--they add lots of softness and shine, and aren't heavy at all.
2. Aquage Uplifting Foam :: This has been a repeat purchase of mine for quite a few years now. It has the consistency of a thin mousse, and is meant to be sprayed right into the roots to give volume and lift. It is a bit pricey, but I love it and it lasts me a long time. Editing to add: I picked up L'Oreal Boost It Volumizing Mousse when my Aquage ran out recently, just to bridge the gap until I could order more Aquage, and I am really liking it! It gives my hair more of a stiff feel than the Aquage does, but I think the volume and lift is every bit as good as Aquage. Just an FYI if the price tag on the Aquage is giving you sticker shock!
3. John Frieda Full Repair Elixir Oil :: I bought this as a replacement for Moroccan Oil, which is wonderful but expensive. I've been using it for quite a while (probably a year or more), and I've been happy with it. I use 1 pump in my palms, then work it into my hair, focusing on the ends. I think it helps to smooth my hair, protect it from blow dryer heat, and give it some shine. I'll sometimes add a few more drops to dry hair to add shine.
Not pictured, because I honestly can't tell whether this is doing anything: Generic Value Products Shine Spray from Sally's Beauty Supply. I truly can't tell if it makes any difference for me, but I figured I'd mention it because I do, in fact, use it after every blow dry, despite not being able to tell if it makes a difference.
4. Beyond the Zone Rock On Volumizing Powder :: If I were forced to pick just ONE product to use on my hair every day, it would be this. (I should point out that I've tried a few different texture/volumizing powders and honestly haven't noticed a huge difference between them, so my loyalty isn't necessarily to this particular powder, but just to a texture powder in general.)
I'll warn you that these powders feel gross. They are chalky and sticky and make your hair feel dirty and nasty. But I'm willing to deal with that unpleasant side effect because it adds so much texture and grip to my hair, which is very fine with zero natural texture. I shake some powder into my roots at the crown of my head and along my part, then use my fingers to shake and rough it up. It gives great lift and texture that you can leave as is, or tease over, and it will actually hold. (If you have very fine hair like I do, you've probably gotten frustrated that no amount of teasing makes any difference! If you use some of this first and then tease your hair, it'll hold great.)
5. Ion Pomade Wax :: I use a small amount of this on my fingertips and use it to stick down any frizzies and flyaways, smooth the bangs out a bit, piece out some sections across the top and sides, and smooth the back down.
6. Kenra 25 Hairspray :: This hairspray is THE best ever ever ever. It gives awesome hold, and really helps volume to stick around all day! I've used it off and on for years, and always regret it when I decide to try a different spray. Editing to add: I picked up the Generic Value Products knockoff version of this hairspray from Sally's recently and really truly canNOT tell a difference between it and the real deal. Go ahead and save yourself a couple bucks!
If you have any hair products you just LOVE, I'm all ears!